Know Toxics
RSS Feeds Icon
Search
Go To Search
Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Fluorescent Light Bulb Facts
Photo of Compact Fluorescent Bulb
  • Lamps, bulbs, ballasts, and tube portions of electric lighting devices can contain mercury.
  • Mercury is a toxic element that can be very harmful to human health and the environment if not managed properly. If a bulb breaks and mercury vapor is inhaled, or its contents seep into the carpet or other textiles, serious short and long-term health effects can take place.
  • Any bulb with the Hg (mercury) symbol should not be disposed of in the trash. 
  • These bulbs containing mercury should be reclaimed or recycled through an appropriate facility. 
  • The Fluorescent Bulb Reference Guide shows typical fluorescent and HID bulbs that contain mercury and the names often used for them. 

Return to Interactive Guide Homepage


Why should I use fluorescent bulbs?

How do I dispose of my used fluorescent bulbs?

What do I do if a fluorescent light bulb breaks?
  • If a fluorescent bulb breaks, get tips for safe clean-up


Return to Interactive Guide Homepage


 
Know Toxics, A Project of the Northern Virginia Waste Management Board, C/O Northern Virginia Regional Commission
3040 Williams Drive, Suite 200  Fairfax, VA 22031  703-642-0700 (Voice)  Email Us